ExxonMobil Engineering Scholarship
The ExxonMobil Engineering Scholarship Program is intended to assist and encourage outstanding Hispanic college freshmen who plan to pursue a degree in engineering at U. S. post-secondary institutions. The program is sponsored by the Exxon Mobil Foundation and is administered by the LULAC National Educational Service Centers (LNESC).
The ExxonMobil Engineering Scholarship Program will award two (2) national scholarships of $20,000, paid over four years, and seventeen (17) $2,000 local scholarships to qualified students. Applicants must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or better on a 4.0 scale or the equivalent, and plan to enroll full-time in an accredited college or university.
- Applicants must reside within the following cities and surrounding areas and meet the following criteria to be considered for a scholarship: Albuquerque, NM, Austin, TX, Bayamon, PR, Colorado Springs, CO, Corpus Christi, TX, Dallas, TX, El Paso, TX, Houston, TX, Kansas City, MO, Miami, FL, Oxnard, CA, Philadelphia, PA, San Antonio, TX, San Diego, CA, Vancouver, WA
- Must be an entering college freshman as of Fall 2023
- Must have a cumulative high school grade point average of at least 3.75 on a 4.0 scale or the equivalent
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or have the legal right to work in the U.S. without requiring sponsorship now or in the future
For 2023-24, Ismael Arechiga Duran and Devon Woodfine were selected as national scholars, and will receive a four-year $20,000 scholarship. Additionally, seventeen regional awardees were selected to receive one-time $2,000 scholarships to pursue engineering degrees at U. S. post-secondary institutions.
From the previous cohort of recipients, 100% of students continued their studies in a post-secondary institution and are on track to receive a four-year degree.
2023-24 ExxonMobil Engineering Scholarship Recipients
“In my first year of college, I was introduced to many career paths and subjects to study. During the pandemic, my classes were predominantly online and the increased rigor of the courses was difficult to adapt to. The ExxonMobil Engineering Scholarship alleviated the financial stress of obtaining my education and pursuing these opportunities. I was able to take my first programming course in python and find a passion for computer programming. I was able to improve my work ethic to meet the demand of my courses and follow my academic pursuits. The scholarship lifted a weight off my shoulders allowing me to excel in my courses and receive a higher education”
– Gisselle, Cornell University, Biomedical Engineering
“I truly appreciate being a recipient of the ExxonMobil Engineering Scholarship --- helping to make my aspiration of becoming a mechanical engineer a reality. The scholarship eases the financial burden on my family as my twin brother and I are both in college. Boston University’s College of Engineering is a challenging, exhilarating experience.”
– David, Boston University, Mechanical Engineering
“My parents have always been my number one supporters throughout my college process, and that surely extended to them bearing the financial burden. I knew that it was my responsibility to contribute to the cost of my education any way I could. The LNESC and ExxonMobil scholarship has eased my financial burden, allowing me to concentrate on my academic passions. I am extremely grateful for LNESC's commitment to helping students achieve their goals.”
– Jared, University of Southern California, Aerospace Engineering
“Through the generosity of the ExxonMobil Engineering Scholarship, my aspirations as a young scholar can now become a reality at Rice University as I pursue my undergraduate in Chemical Engineering with a specialization in Biotechnology and Bioengineering. This scholarship has helped alleviate the financial strain on me and my family to pay for my college education. I am very appreciative of the scholarship for giving me the opportunity to represent the Hispanic community as well as the female community at Rice, especially in STEM. With the assistance from this scholarship, I have been able to pursue my academic goals, explore new opportunities, and grow as an individual to give back to my community.”
– Kristina, Rice University, Chemical Engineering
“During the Covid-19 pandemic, my family’s income was substantially reduced. Thanks to LNESC and the ExxonMobil Engineering Scholarship, I was able to continue paying tuition without worsening the burden on my family. This scholarship provided critical support during a very stressful time.”
– Sofia, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Mechanical Engineering