LNESC has developed a program model that services disadvantaged students at all stages of educational development. LNESC delivers a range of services at the elementary, middle, and high school levels with a focus on preparing students to face challenges in their academic and professional endeavors.
The explosive growth of the Latino population in the United States carries profound implications for all Americans. Already there are 58 million Latinos in the country, comprising almost 19% of the U.S. population and Latinos will soon make up fully a third of the U.S. population by the year 2030. Today, one out of every three babies born in America are Latino, and Hispanic youth already make up a similar percentage of public school enrollment. With our nation’s employers increasingly requiring skilled and highly educated employees, the future productivity of the United States is largely dependent upon the educational success of Latino students.
LNESC uses a unique set of strategies that dramatically improve Latino educational outcomes for the students we serve, ensuring that Latino students are motivated and prepared to make the most of the educational opportunities available to them.
- Target Those in Need: LNESC’s programs target the most vulnerable Latino students: those who are academically at-risk, low income and potentially the first in their families to go to college. By leveling the playing field for these students, LNESC helps them to compete academically with their more advantaged peers.
- Act as a Catalyst: LNESC programs act as a catalyst driving educational excellence at crucial times during a Latino student’s education. We target the specific age cohorts and academic disciplines where Latino students have historically fallen behind and we utilize intensive intervention strategies to ensure the students excel in the very subjects where Latino students often struggle.
- Motivate Students: LNESC focuses on motivating students to succeed through entertaining hands-on academic exercises, experiential field trips, and enlisting parents, peers and role models to create a culture of academic excellence. Students who fall in love with learning perform exponentially better than students who dread going to class.
- Instill Pride: LNESC’s programs instill pride in culture and heritage, exposing students to successful Latino mentors and role models to expand the realm of career options the students can see themselves pursuing after graduation. Our nationwide network of Latino professional volunteers can relate to the Latino educational experience and provide valuable advice on how to succeed.
- Leverage Impact: LNESC’s programs leverage in-kind support and the pro-bono work of students, parents, volunteers, teachers, mentors, and the employees of our sponsors to dramatically expand the impact of the financial support we receive. Consequently, we deliver the most cost-effective yet impactful Latino educational programs in the country.